F&S Heating Oil FAQs PageOn this page, we'll answer some of your frequently asked questions about Oilheat. But first, here are a few important things you need to know about heating oil and Bioheat®.
The Benefits of Heating OilOilheat — also known as heating oil and fuel oil —
has so much going for it — it's clean, efficient,
eco-friendly, and, most of all, it's comfortable.
Heating oil is safe.
- Heating oil will not burn in a liquid state. In order to light heating oil on fire, you must heat it above 140 degrees, the temperature at which it begins to vaporize.
- There are visible warnings if there is an oil burner malfunction. With home heating oil systems, carbon monoxide leaks rarely happen without warning. If an Oilheat system should malfunction, it will release smoke or soot as a visible warning; these serve as early indicators that something is wrong, long before dangerous levels of carbon monoxide can be released into the air.
- Heating oil is non-explosive A match dropped into heating oil will go out as if it were dropped into water.
Heating oil is "green"
- Heating oil burns cleanly. Today's Oilheat burns 95% cleaner than in 1970. Since it burns so cleanly, it comes well within the air pollution standards set by the Environmental Protection Agency. Low-sulfur heating oil and renewable biofuels, such as those made from soy beans, will further reduce heating oil's already near-zero emissions. (See below for information on Bioheat®.)
- Heating oil is kind to the environment. In fact, residential heating oil equipment creates such a negligible amount of emissions that heating oil is not even regulated by the Federal Clean Air Act.
Heating oil is dependable
- Heating oil offers dependable and safe storage. With Oilheat, you benefit from having your fuel source safely stored in a tank on your property — with no need to worry about the weather or disruptions in the heating oil supply.
- There will always be a plentiful supply of heating oil. Even during the coldest winter months, there's more than enough Oilheat for everyone. In fact, the United States has a Strategic Petroleum Reserve with a capacity of 727 million barrels — the world's largest emergency oil stockpile — in addition to a two-million-barrel heating oil reserve. There are over 50 oil producing countries, and the U.S. is not dependent on any one country or region for its supply. In fact, according to the International Energy Agency, the United States will become the world's largest oil producer by around 2020!
- You can rely on us for all your heating oil needs! F&S Petroleum offers dependable, courteous personalized service 24/7/365. You can count on our knowledgeable burner service technicians, and our well-equipped fleet to get any job done right!
Heating oil is economical
- The price of heating oil is right. Among heating fuels, heating oil has been the value leader for the majority of the past 20 years.
- Competition keeps heating oil prices in check. Competition among local heating oil companies helps to ensure a better value.
Heating oil is efficient
- Heating oil is hot! Of all heating fuels, heating oil has the hottest flame - for satisfying warmth, and rapid space and hot water heating.
- Heating oil systems are super-efficient! Thanks to major advancements being made in Oilheat burner technology, some heating oil systems now boast efficiency ratings of over 90%! Modern Oilheat equipment actually burns less fuel. The average annual fuel consumption in 1973 was 1,294 gallons; and now it is only 833 gallons — that's 35% less heating oil.
In addition to all these benefits, heating oil offers value-added full service — including payment options, automatic delivery, and heating equipment installation and burner service. Read more about our products and services for all residents in New York City — The Bronx, Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens and Staten Island, as well as Westchester County. .
You can learn all about the advantages of clean, safe, economical, efficient heating oil by visiting OilheatAmerica.com.
The Benefits of BioheatWe're particularly proud to deliver Bioheat® — a blend of eco-friendly biodiesel made from renewable resources such as soybean and other oils and used cooking grease, and ultra-low-sulfur No. 2 heating oil. This clean, green fuel is a result of two mandates: a July 2012 law requiring all heating oil in New York State have a sulfur content limited to 15 parts per million (a 99% reduction in sulfur content); and an October 2012 law requiring that all heating oil sold in New York City contain at least 2% biodiesel.
Ultra-low-sulfur Bioheat® means that our New York City heating oil customers are now enjoying the cleanest heating fuel in America:
- Better overall air quality in The Bronx, Staten Island, Brooklyn, Manhattan and Queens.
- More energy-efficient heating oil-fired systems in large buildings
- New, green economic opportunities to foster the biodiesel industry in the city
- Reduced dependence on foreign energy sources
Our New York State Bioheat customers will receive a tax credit for their clean and green heating oil
There is currently a New York State tax credit, called Claim for Clean Heating Fuel Credit, that offers both residential and commercial Bioheat® consumers a minimum tax credit amount of $.02 per gallon ($.01 per gallon for each percent of biodiesel included in the Bioheat®, not to exceed $.20 per gallon) through 2016. Please contact us for details.
Frequently Asked QuestionsQ. What should I do if I have trouble getting heat?
- See if the oil burner switch is on.
- Check the thermostat. Make sure that it's set above room temperature.
- Check fuses and/or circuit breakers.
- Check your oil tank to see if you have heating oil.
- Press the reset button on the burner relay once only.
- If trouble still persists call our service department at 718-994-3030 for burner service.
Q. How often should I service my boiler?
A. Boilers should be serviced, annually, by a qualified oil burner service technician, during summer months in preparation for the winter season. Service should include a tune-up with replacement of filter, nozzle, electrodes and pump strainer, in addition to a thorough cleaning.
Q. How do I measure my heating oil storage tank level?
A. If you are a will-call customer, we ask that you please place your order when your tank gauge reads 3/8 to 1/4. This allows time to route in your delivery and helps to ensure that you will not run out.
Use the chart below to determine how much you have in your tank.